David Borthwick / Legacy
Club Start. Club Championship Race 3. Race starts at 1025.
|Metung Yacht Club – Legacy Race
This race is a fund raiser for Legacy, with the “entry fee” donation traditionally collected at sign-on by a member of the Bull family
The first (round Raymond Island) Legacy sailing race was in 1952 as a result of a challenge put forward by the late Ormond Foster of Boisdale, to race any of the larger Gippsland Lakes yachts.
A few additional rules were added to the normal sailing rules of the time
- The start to be at Shaving Point Metung
- All Raymond Island beacons to starboard
- Finish line to be a buoy in line with the Metung Public Jetty
- No propellers to be removed
- No power to be used
- Each boat owner to donate 10 pound to East Gippsland Legacy
In 1952 the entries were
0.Foster and D. Stothers “Malana”
N. Martin “Meringa”
J. Trevorrow “Sunset”
W. Heath “Elroma”
Mr Ray Dunn (later the Metung Hotel publican) presented a large shield to which the winners have a small inscribed shield attached each year they also receive a small cup
Footnote: This shield has recently been found in a very old Metung residence and is currently being restored to be hopefully presented to future Legacy Race winners
The race has been held annually on the second weekend of January ever since that date and has built up over the years and become a fixture.
- The entry fee hasn’t changed since the inaugural race
- The race finish line at the Metung wharf enabled the officials to have a pleasant afternoon in the pub !
- A member of the Bull family has collected the entry fees every year since 1952, three generations, who all have been Commodores of the Yacht Club and Presidents of East Gippsland Legacy.
- The Legacy Race was changed to the David Borthwick Legacy Race in 2000, in recognition of David’s devotion to supporting the yacht club and the Legacy Race. He donated $100 every year he competed – of which there were plenty.
- One of David’s sons attends the yacht club and the family participates in “Chindrina” (David’s yacht) each Legacy race as a tribute to their father.